How to clean leather:
Many people wonder how to clean leather. If you follow the easy care directions below you can easily extend the life of your leather. Well cared for leather will guarantee a nice polished look for many years.
- Use a damp cloth for the regular cleaning of your leather.
- For a more thorough clean, use a mild soap without saturating the leather.
- Avoid the use of harsh chemicals and cleaners.
- Polish with a dry soft cloth after each cleaning.
Please note that you can apply these cleaning methods to any automotive leather as well. For older leather that is dry and deteriorated we recommend purchasing new leather. Cleaning old leather will not restore the strength or look and it might make the leather worse.
Main causes of leather deterioration:
- Oxidation which happens in very old leathers. This causes the surface to crack and flake and weaken. This is the most common cause and can be avoided with proper leather care.
- Damage caused by UV rays or chemicals. Direct sunlight is another common cause of leather deterioration. We only recommend putting our protected, semi-aniline and automotive leathers in areas with sunlight.
Fore more information on cleaning leather please visit the DIY Network page, they offer great advice and even a video!